Monday, November 5, 2007

Mzungu! Mzungu! How Are You?

Hello from Uganda! It feels good to be back here on the White Nile; all the familiar faces are still around: boda-boda drivers, raft guides, locals, and a few paddling buddies from the trip in 2006.

So far, I am still figuring out my role at the Soft Power Health clinic. Last week, we went on an outreach education session in Bugaya village, and then a follow-up session in Muguluka to see how effective the nets have been in the last 4 months. We sold all 150 nets on Thursday in Bugaya and need more for our next trip out there. When asked how many people had malaria in the past, everyone in the crowd raised his or her hand. It was somewhat disturbing to see how many people this disease has affected.

Aside from Soft Power, I have gotten a few laps in on part of the day 1 stretch. All the boda-boda drivers are still here, including our regular drivers from last time, Robert and Moses. Robert has started kayaking since I last saw him last and it is great to be out paddling with him. The river has changed since beginning the construction of the dam a few months ago; the Ugly Sisters wave is now gone and all the water has been diverted to Silver Back, which makes it pretty huge. It is sad to say that this section of the day 1 stretch will be flooded when the dam is finished in about 4 years; it will have quite a financial impact on the river industry down here. However, I am loving the big, warm water while I can, and enjoying seeing everyone again.

Last night, Ronald took me on a tour of his local village. I was able to meet his mom and sisters, and then all his own kids running around, chasing us on the boda-boda. “Mzungu! Mzungu! How are you?” they scream; these kids were not used to seeing a white person (mzungu). It keeps amazing me how friendly and welcoming Ugandans are; they invite you into their homes without any hesitation, take you around villages, and strike up any conversation, or even let you drive their own boda-boda (it was pretty comical). I sure wish I could speak more Luganda, but maybe by the end of this trip, I will be able to get by.

Today I will be helping with an HIV testing/counseling session with the kids. We will see how it goes.