Wednesday, February 27, 2008

UKC to Super Hole

This weekend, we helped rally the Ugandan Kayak Club for a fun session down to the Super Hole. It was great to be a part of it (among the few mzungus allowed to come). We had about a dozen members from the club all outfitted and ready to go, loaded up the truck, hopped in the back, and off we went for a great Sunday afternoon on the water. I still find myself in amazement of how quickly Ugandans can learn. Some have only been paddling for a few weeks and they already have a solid roll and are shredding it up on the wave. Normally, I am not very good at being the camera bitch, but I was very happy to do so that day. It was fun to watch all the Ugandans kayak and loving every moment of it. We only had one swimmer of the day, but most the guys were already doing flat-water bow stalls and working on their next “big move” on Super Hole. Special thanks again to Karl and Tara for all their hard work to get the UKC up and running.

I have noticed that I have not been kayaking nearly as much as when I originally got here. It was great to be out paddling with the locals though. Sometimes being surrounded by too many mzungu kayakers makes me feel as though I am not actually in Uganda. However, I am not any better than any other mzungu here, but the kayaking scene in general can get a bit overwhelming. The scary thing is that I am scheduled to leave 4 weeks from today, and of course, it feels way too soon. There are still so many things to do, but I am trying to make the most of it, and we will see if that scary March 26th date remains the same.