Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My “Not” Going Away Party

I was supposed to be sitting on a plane flying to London right now. However, I realized I was not ready to leave and extended my ticket last week. It sure is a common theme here in Uganda; I have come across countless people who have extended their stays. I am sure that a month down the road when I am currently scheduled to leave will feel similar in my fear and dread of coming back to the States. However, I decided to make the most of it and enjoy another 4 weeks here in Uganda. Instead of having a “not going away” bender for my supposedly last night (as everyone else seems to do), I made the most of the high water here and went down to Malalu, another great big-water wave that rarely comes in. After a good sunset session with some friends, we headed back to the Hairy Lemon and then had a good session on the Nile Special this morning. I am glad I am not sitting in London right now waiting for another plane to catch to Seattle. Someday it will happen, but another month here will not hurt.

I have not been working with Soft Power Health as much as before, which may be obvious by looking at my last few entries of trips to Murchison and Bwindi. I guess it is from a combination of reasons: plenty of new volunteers coming and handing off the work to them, or mainly running out of time to fit in everything I have been hoping to pack in during the last 5 months. I am trying to make the most of my time before the huge culture shock and reality check of coming back to the States.