Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Back in the US...

Paved roads, running water and electricity, driving on the right side of the road, stop lights, pasty skin, everyone is speaking English….what is this? I am spotting countless mzungus, and it reminds me of driving around with Francis on “mzungu capture” in Kampala. However, now there are mzungus everywhere. I packed up my things and felt on the edge of tears; it is amazing what sunglasses can hide. I just wanted to bundle up in fetal position and escape – change my flight again and stay just a bit longer. I was just starting to pick up some work for guiding – with Nile River Explorers and Adrift – and then my day came to leave. Anna extended her stay again and is now working for Kayak the Nile. As I sat in the car driving to Entebbe, I watched the sun rise to the east and wondered if I would make it back. It will be refreshing to be somewhere else, and back into the multi-day river trips. The whitewater is not nearly as exciting as the White Nile, but guiding 4-day Rogue trips is far more fulfilling and rewarding. It is hard to believe that 6 months ago I was packing up and off on my way to Uganda. I had few expectations; the door was wide open and ready for whatever was to come. Sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday, but also ages ago. As I said before, I was definitely settled in Uganda, probably far more than I have felt in a long time.

Now I am back here in the States, unsure of the future plans. I am finishing up with school things and trying to put together a presentation to represent the work and experience I had in Uganda; however, no words can ever tell the true tale. It is one of the hardest things about traveling and trying to share these experiences. So what did bring me back? I was asked a few times to extend my ticket and guide for the busy summer season, but I suppose finishing up with Evergreen would be a good thing to do, along with a private MF Salmon trip in July, and a Grand Canyon trip in August. Now after that, maybe go back for some work on the White Nile before it is long gone, or meet up with some long lost friends on a trip to Nepal this September. Only time will tell.