Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Last Goodbye

I remember when I first got here and told myself I probably would not want to raft guide here; the responsibility of paying customers was intimidating with the big water and excess carnage. However, it has been a lot of fun to get back on the sticks again and pick up some work here on the White Nile; I also needed to keep myself busy for my last few days and I am reminded of how much fun guiding can be. And I am getting paid for this? Now I might actually be able to make it back to the States, although it is tempting to stay longer and keep working for the busy summer months. The group of Inner City Kids from Upward Bound in New York arrived here on Sunday evening. They have come for their weeklong spring break to volunteer with Soft Power Health and a day of rafting on the Nile as well. Unfortunately, I fly out during the middle of their trip, but luckily, I was able to see Rosanna again, one of the chaperones I have worked with over the years, and a few returning kids from years before. Again, it is short and sweet, but such an eye opening experience for these kids, most of whom have never left the city of New York. Coming to rural Uganda, or even the wild and scenic Rogue River in years past, is definitely a change of scenery.

I rallied some of the boys to come along for my last Silverback run before flying out tomorrow morning. The idea of leaving still seems surreal. As I carried my boat up the hill, with my back to the depressing construction site of the dam, I could not help but wonder if I will ever see this section of the river again. I hopped on the back of the boda-boda with Ronald driving me home; I am still not ready to leave. This is the most settled I have felt in years. After spending so much time here, it would be hard to never come back and see all the friends and connections I have made over the last 6 months. I have tried to say my goodbyes to everyone I know, especially my dear friends and co-workers at Soft Power Health; they have all been so generous and willing to take me under their wings at the clinic.

I am never very good at goodbyes. I guess I do have some things to sort out back “home” in the States. At least I might have my foot in the door now, either with Nile River Explorers, Adift, or Kayak the Nile. Plus, I am leaving my kayak here, so it might be my excuse to myself to come back sometime down the road.