Sunday, November 2, 2008

Back in Uganda

Hello again from Uganda. It is funny how some things never change; sometimes it feels like I never left. On the drive to Bujagali on Wednesday, one year after my last arrival, I was somewhat surprised how many old friends I saw. Maybe not surprised at seeing everyone again, but somewhat flattered they all remembered me. It makes me feel somewhat wanted and missed, something I never thought would happen. When looking back on the last 6 months in the US, I did not feel settled there at all. This is where I actually had a “home” and a bed that I slept in most nights. I chose to live in the back of a truck for my time in the US; it made it possible for me to finish with school in Washington, work as a multi-day river guide in southern Oregon, road trips to Idaho and California, and then paraglide back in Washington. However, as my time was coming to an end, I became tired of being on the road all the time. I was tired of meeting new people and saying goodbye. I was tired of not knowing where I was going next. I was tired of being alone.

Countless people have said, “Morgan, you are lost” since I returned. In Ugandan terms, this just means you have not seen someone for a while. But maybe I have really been lost. I was totally overwhelmed when returning this spring. I had work plans for the summer, but then life was totally open ended. I had ideas, but nothing set in stone. When this job came up, I decided to go for it. However, I admit that I was second-guessing my decision; it is always tricky going back to the same place and not having expectations. Fortunately, I am aware that this time is a totally new trip: I have a new job with more responsibilities and more stress. It is exciting and scary at the same time. I have been going over everything with Annie and I am glad I will be able to work with her until she leaves in mid-December. I have a lot to learn and I know I will still mistakes, but working with Annie will make this process a bit smoother.

Deep down, I know this was the right decision; I am passionate about public health and traveling. I enjoy living simply, which is much easier to do here than being surrounded by the consumerism of the United States. I am totally guilty of it as well. People have nothing, and they are still happy here; it reminds me about what truly matters.

Aside from training, we have had some more amusing days as well. The day after arriving, I went back to Kampala with one of our patients with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. She was going back for another round of chemotherapy, but it turns out the oncologist only works Monday to Wednesday; we turned around and came home. Then of course, we were supposed to have a net sale today, but we drove there and the mobilizer decided to cancel the session due to the rain. So I guess there has been a lot of driving without much accomplishment. I am not giving up yet though; we are still getting things done, just slowly, slowly. It is a bit refreshing to be back on Uganda time.