Friday, November 7, 2008

Obama! Obama! Obama!

I normally avoid discussing politics with everyone, especially on an online blog. However, I decided to go for it anyway, so here it is.

It has been interesting to watch the United States elections from the other side of the world. With the 11-hour time difference between Uganda and the west coast, I sat around Tuesday night watching CNN. I finally had to go to sleep to distract myself as much as I could, receiving occasional text messages with an update on the election. Ohio, Florida, Virginia….I jumped out of bed and ran to the nearest TV. I found myself surrounded by Ugandans, and one by one, everyone worked his or her way into the room with an anxious look on his or her face. It was an international crowd of Obama supporters sitting together at 7:00 AM in the tiny village of Kyabirwa, Uganda; we had representatives from Uganda, Australia, England, Ireland, Canada, and only a few of us from the USA. We were relieved, excited, and exhausted as we listened to Obama’s victory speech in Chicago. It was an emotional morning here in Uganda; maybe there is hope in this world. On my walk to the clinic, countless Ugandan friends were as excited as I was. “Obama! Obama! Obama!” they chanted. I sat in the car on the drive to our net sale with my ears glued to the BBC radio. Some years down the road, I wonder when we will ask each other, “Where were you when Obama got elected?” Seeing it from Uganda has given me a different perspective. Obama’s picture has been on the cover of every local newspaper for the last few days. I have seen Ugandans wearing Obama shirts, or even trying to buy a shirt off of a mzungu. His name was even written on the back of a matatu. The world is watching, and now, the world is celebrating. People danced around the streets of Jinja on Wednesday night to celebrate the elections from a continent away.

Unfortunately, Obama has a mess to clean up: the financial crisis, two wars, the Bush Administration. It will not be an easy road to travel, especially living up to these high expectations. However, in his speech in Chicago, I believe he reminded us of the reality: this is not something he can do alone. As Gandhi said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Although I believe American politics and citizens struggle to follow this concept, it is a good sign that we, as Americans, could stand up and take the first step: vote for change. Yes we can!